Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Welcome to My Home

I realize that very few people I know have been to my apartment. What the...? I guess when Steve was living here with the dogs and so much Chinese furniture, I honestly did not feel much like it was my space. Then, Ryan moved in last December, and slowly, slowly, it's become much more a place I want people to feel comfortable in. So, yeah, I suppose a party is in order. I just need to get a few more things on the walls and that pesky rug for the living room... In the meantime, you get these snippets:

How about that view from the bathroom, eh? When you take a bath in the old seafoam green porcelain tub, this is what you can gaze at. Or, if you prefer, you can see it from the toilet, too:



First off, understand this is a two-story, two-bedroom apartment built in the 1930s with old French windows, hardwood floors, and lots of airflow (thankfully, since there is no A/C). The upstairs hallway is now tastefully decorated with a skull, books, and plants:



Specially for Kathleen: My newly acquired 1940s waterfall dresser is topped off with my old bunny bank. Why yes, it does have eyelashes and a fake fur boa around its neck, thanks for asking. Most people are freaked out by it. Ryan saw it and just said, "That is so cool." First sign he was a keeper. Oh, and those are flax weavings I learned to do when I went to New Zealand. A cool Maori woman fed me fresh fruit as we sat on her floor of her rural house on the North Island and she tirelessly showed me what to do; it poured down rain outside the entire time.



Slowly but surely we're collecting some taxidermy. Here's something tame in that dept.--a cool butterfly display Ryan found in Palm Springs. Also in the main bedroom.



The dining room. Not seen: the 1970s Danish dining room table. Seen: the 1970s light fixture, wall of antlers, and the painting of a boy and his banana. You can take from that what you will.



Sitting on the windowbox sill in the kitchen, we have a sampling of the objets d'art that are tastefully arranged there, including Ryan's bird salt and pepper shakers and the measuring spoons Nicole gave me oh so long ago...



And what house is complete without a Garfield fish tank (the fish will sit in his belly), a reclining glamorous woman figurine, and a coconut mailed from Molokai (thanks, James!)?



I could, of course, take room shots and let you see how pretty it really is. But why would I want to do all that? Then you'd never come over for dinner, drinks, or cards.
You know who you are. An invitation is forthcoming.

xo-M

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was like a brand new tour! Yeah, that bunny...so many conflicting emotions....