Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What, Me Sleep?

Was it the crazy heatwave over the weekend that did it? I fear it melted my brain--especially the parts that help me concentrate, keep me from telling people what I think when it's inappropriate, and also those that control the ability to sleep.

I go through periodic bouts of insomnia. Usually, it's obvious stress causing it; sometimes it's a complete mystery. I'm not sure what, exactly, that stress is right now, aside from some work stuff. But it's nothing major. So why do I feel like my brain's been replaced by some kind of motor and my eyes are stuck open?

When I was a kid and couldn't sleep, I would go downstairs, where, inevitably, my mother had fallen asleep on the couch--a book propped up on her chest. I'd watch her sleep. Sometimes the TV was still on. It looked so much like a photographic still life, slightly dim, slightly out of focus due to the fact that I was tired but couldn't be made to sleep.

Sometimes it lasted weeks. Other times it was only one night. I wonder now, sitting in the spare bedroom at midnight, if insomnia is genetic. I never thought it weird that my mother would constantly sleep on the couch while my dad fell into a deep, rumbling slumber in their bedroom only 15 feet away. They never commented on it. In fact, sometimes it was my dad on the couch, coming home at 4 am after work.

Maybe we were a family of insomniacs: my sister feverishly worked until late in the night many days, my brother was often out carousing, not wanting to be home. In the summer, especially, I'd stay up until 4 or 5 a.m. on a regular basis with my friends Amy and Leslie, who lived in the neighborhood. We loved to see the strata of color in the sky in the east, even though we hated it when the birds started to chirp. They were so loud we would then never fall asleep until the sun was already up.

I am always keenly aware on these nights, though, how much my brain seems to suffer the consequences of what it seemingly does on its own. By tomorrow, if I haven't had a full night's sleep, I'll be a babbling idiot. And yet, perhaps also more entertaining than I've been lately.

Ryan seems a bit mystified by all of this. He can fall asleep anywhere. He can fall asleep while in the middle of a sentence. I've watched it happen. I always sigh wistfully when he falls asleep so easily. He has that magical "On/Off" switch I wish someone could implant in me. He used to always ask what he could do to help me sleep. To which I quipped, "Don't ask me about it. That will help."

I probably just sabotaged myself by talking about it here, didn't I? Time to grab a book and head to the couch. Why not start the family legacy now?

No comments: