Saturday, September 23, 2006

Muffin Month, Muses, and Me




I resisted this way of sharing ideas and words for a long time, making jokes about how, if I had time to post on a blog, clearly I had time to be doing something else--i.e., something that was more conventionally "productive."

Well, so much for contributing to society in more "meaningful" ways.

Like the cell phone I finally broke down and bought, I've finally realized that ... well, this is productive in a way that I find useful. So there.

I suppose it is also borne from a need to just start writing again. After working in publishing for so many years and writing so many reviews, articles, and editorials, I took a job in PR where I write press releases and e-mails and little else. Granted, this is a nice change of pace, but in the meantime, my other writing suffered, including a long-gestating book project that I never forget but cannot seem to add to right now.

Plus, I got tired of hearing Lesley threaten to play me back voicemails I'd left her that she felt were perfect fodder to share with an "audience," whatever that may mean. Case in point, the nearly manic message I left her last week as I sat at the intersection of Melrose and Vine staring across the street at Yum Yum Donuts, which was sporting a poster that proclaimed "MUFFIN MONTH!" in giant letters (avec exclamation point). Did you know it was Muffin Month? I certainly didn't, and I felt the need to share that most vehemently with Lesley on her voicemail: "Hey! Guess what? It's muffin month! Yes, muffin month. Support your local muffins at Yum Yum donuts! Don't forget!" And so on...

So, now you know. I was spurred to action by Muffin Month!

As for the name Nice Limbo, well, those of you who know my musical tastes know I am a big Throwing Muses fan, and well... "Limbo" is the name of an album and song. But the lyric that starts it goes: "Nice limbo you have here." A short, simple observation that's sarcastic, funny, and slightly troubling at the same time. I just liked the idea that limbo can, indeed, be "nice." And living in L.A., it seems doubly appropriate--a city that can often feel like it's levitating, removed from reality in some weird, wondrous way. And given the way my writing has been going lately, it now seems triply appropriate.

As for me, I spent the day doing little more than contemplating Muffin Month, buying shoes, and seeing some art that I'd been meaning to see--surfboards, queer Canadian troublemakers, and a dose of Anne Murray music. (I'll try to explain that later.)

For now it's time to eat some dinner, turn on some lights and enjoy the evening. How, I am not sure yet. There's still time.

No comments: